Saving money on your period. Menstrual products can be quite expensive, particularly when you think how many periods you have a year and how long you’ll have them for. Here’s a look at how you can save when it’s that time of the month.
The cost of a period
How much does your period cost? Have you ever really thought about it? Obviously, the length of a period varies from person to person. But let’s have a look at some average figures:
- The average period is 6 days long. For most women, it does get lighter towards the end.
- Tampons should be changed every 4-6 hours and certainly not worn for longer than 8 hours at a time.
- That means on average we will get through four tampons a day.
- For most people, that’s between 24 and 28 tampons a period. (Based on an average length period and average flow. You may well need to change more often at the start.)
- Tampons on the countdown website today cost between 16 and 50 cents each.
- They come in packs of between 16 and 20.
- If you have 13 periods a year, then you’re going to be spending around $101 on average a year, although should you need different weights of tampons or have a heavier flow, it could well be more.
- Pads are slightly more expensive, with them ranging up to $1 each.
- With these, you would be looking at around $236 a year.
- Over the course of your period, you might well be spending between $4000 and $10000 over the course of your life, just on period products.
Saving money with your period
There must be a better option, a way of saving money; period. There is.
- Menstrual cups can last for up to ten years and start from just $10.
- Washable pads are even cheaper and although you need more than one, you soon start to see savings.
- Even when you take into account washing pads or sterilising your cup it’s still much cheaper.
- You don’t have to worry about disposing of reusable products, saving more money and a better option for the environment.
When it comes to reducing your expenses when you’re on your period, then reusable menstrual products are a great choice.