Reusable menstrual options might seem a bit overwhelming at first. There are plenty of different types out there, but what will work best of you? Here is a rundown of the features and advantages of each type
Washable menstrual product types
As with disposable products, there are two basic types of reusable menstrual products. Those which are worn outside of the body and those which are worn internally. Washable pads have been around in one form or another for a long time, but modern pads are quite different in their use of fabric and design to older versions. There is also special underwear with special built-in absorbency.
Natural sponges have been used in the past as a reusable alternative to tampons. Although it is still possible to get these, we do not stock them due to concerns about safety and hygiene. Instead, we have menstrual cups, which are growing rapidly in popularity.
At Nappyneedz we have a wide (and growing) range of cloth menstrual pads. We do not currently stock menstrual underwear, although this is another good option. Many of the advantages of pads apply to the underwear.
- Cloth pads are inexpensive and can be used with your current underwear.
- Available in a range of sizes and absorbencies, you can match your pads to your needs.
- Pads are easy to care for and to wash.
- They are better for your skin as they are not full of plastic or chemicals.
- It doesn’t take long to save money by washing and reusing your menstrual pads.
- After giving birth, the soft fabric feels much nicer against damaged skin and sore areas.
- Check out our range of pads here.
A period cup is a great choice if you usually use tampons. Worn internally, they are a hassle-free eco choice.
- Unlike tampons, cups collect blood, rather than absorbing.
- This means that they are not also absorbing your natural moisture and drying you out.
- Made from medical grade silicone, they are easy to clean and take care of.
- You do need to sterilise your cup, to ensure that it is safe. This is easy to do and we have microwave sterilisers available.
- Cups come in different sizes, from the small size zero up to larger options for women who have had children or who are older.
- They don’t have to cost a fortune and using them over time saves lots of money.
- Some people find that their period can actually get lighter over time, with using a cup.
- Check out our range of cups here.
Nappyneedz reusable menstrual options
Here at Nappyneedz, we have a big selection of cups and pads. Our starter packs are a great place to start. We cater for everyone from those with their first period to those who are older and possibly thinking of using pads for slight incontinence issues.
Have you made the change to more eco-friendly options for your period? Let us know how you’ve found the change in the comments or on our Facebook page.