The cost of a new baby can be really high. As you start to add up all of the different things that you need, it can get really expensive. Sometimes, things like nappies end up coming the bottom of the list, but they can make a real difference to the amount you spend. Here are our top tips for reducing the amount you spend on nappies.
Why cloth nappies help
One of the biggest ways that you can save money with a new baby is by using cloth nappies. While some parents are put off by the extra washing. There’s no denying that washing and reusing a nappy is a much cheaper option. Not only do you not have to keep buying new nappies, driving to the shops to get them but you also don’t have to pay for disposables. Although you have to wash the nappies, this often isn’t more work. An extra load every other day isn’t that noticeable. Babes tend to produce a lot of extra washing in any case. The main stumbling block to using cloth is the initial cost of setting up. Even though the nappies are cheaper over time, the initial outlay can be high. There are ways to reduce the cost of the nappies and therefore the cost of a new baby.
Ways to reduce the cost of cloth
- Borrow cloth nappies from friends and families to try them out initially.
- Buy a small amount of newborn nappies to get through the early days.
- Some organisations can lend out cloth nappies free of charge, such as some pregnancy help organisations.
- Buy second hand nappies.
- Check out our value range, which tries to offer nappies at an affordable price.
- Spread the cost of a new baby by buying things gradually over time time you are pregnant.
- Take advantage of layby schemes.
- Apply for our free cloth nappy scheme.
Bringing down the cost of a new baby
A new baby can be really expensive, but with a few careful purchases, you can stretch your money further. Cloth nappies can make a real difference over time and are really worth considering. If you are struggling, then make sure you apply for our free cloth nappy scheme.