There are heaps of cloth nappy types on the market, and getting your head around them, and the differences between the cloth nappy types can be one of the hardest aspects of starting out with cloth nappies.
Here is a quick round up of the main types:
- Pocket nappies are made up of a waterproof outer, a stay dry inner and a big pocket to stuff with absorbent fabric.
- They are easy to use, being similar in shape to a disposable nappy, and fasten with plastic poppers or velcro.
- It is easy to add extra padding or boosters to pocket nappies, to make them more absorbent.
- They tend to dry quickly as the absorbent insert separates from the shell or outer of the nappy.
- All-in-one nappies are similar in shape to pocket nappies, but have the absorbent fabric built in.
- They may be slightly less reliable and may take longer to dry, but are a very easy to use option.
- It is usually harder to add extra absorbency to all-in-one reusable nappies.
- All-in-two cloth nappies are also know as snap in two or snap in nappies.
- This type of reusable nappy tends to have an absorbent layer that fastens into the nappy with snaps.
- They are generally quicker drying than all in one nappies, as the absorbency separates out.
- Pre-fold nappies, are flat squares, which are folded into pads and placed into shaped over-naps or wraps.
- The nappies have been ‘pre-folded’ and then sewn to give a thicker area through the centre.
- You don’t have to change the whole nappy at every change, just the inner.
- They tend to be a cheaper alternative, and are most like the types of nappies your parents used.
- They are a great option for newborn babies as they are quick drying and you only need a few outers.
Shaped two part nappies
- Shaped two parter nappies are made up of a shaped absorbent inner nappy, and a separate waterproof wrap.
- They are probably one of the most reliable nappy types available, although they take slightly more effort than a pocket nappy.
- They can be ideal for night-time use.
- These nappies tend to be bulkier than many of the other washable nappy varieties that are available.